Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dream On

There's an old song by INXS which sings about interracial dating called original sin. Back in high school I listed to this school a lot...it has a great sound. Now I really don't listen to secular music (which I have addressed in another blog), but it's still a pretty good song. Look it up if you haven't taken my secular music fast.


Now I used this song to open my blog because I thought I'd discuss an issue that at times can be controversial and when it's not, people discuss how it can be. Different generations view it in different lights and time periods.

What I'm talking about, as you can probably see from my intro song, is interracial dating. For a while it had been on my mind after discussing it with several people, but now I've decided to branch on the subject.

Interracial dating has become more prominent in the last several years, but people still hold strong opinions on the subject. Nearly every person my age has no problem with it and several of my friends are interested in people of different races. I wouldn't think twice if my friend introduced me to su novio Pedro. The difference in opinions of more recent generations steams from more exposure to it than around 30 years ago. This isn’t a bad thing; it allows people to see it is OK.

On the other hand there are people I look up to who are completely against. As long as they aren't harassing or badmouthing my friends, I do not mind their opinions. I just disagree with them.

I may not have read through the whole Bible (well, I probably have...just not consecutively), but I have never found anywhere where God condemns interracial dating. In fact, Moses married a black woman (Exodus 2:21) and they had two sons. Her father, Jethro (coolest father-in-law name ever) was later mentioned and helped Moses (Exodus 18).

Solomon also took women of other races to be his wives, but he had a billion women so I don't think that counts.

As we come closer to the end, we'll become more and more alike anyway. I don't the color of your mate will matter in the long run. As long as Jesus is the basis of your relationship and you have allowed Him to lead you.

I've heard many biblical arguments, but most of them have to do with being unequally yoked and that doesn't have anything to do with races. I tried to do some research on interracial relationships on the internet and there were a few Web sites strongly arguing against it because God wanted the peoples to remain separate.

People disagree with it for different reasons coming from they think races should be kept separate, stereotypes and pure racism (although I don't think most of them are racists.) I’m not an expert by any means. If we’re going to argue races are not meant to be mixed the my entire country and the people I love are mistakes. Take my heritage for instance: I’m German, Irish, English and about ¼ Cherokee Indian. I’m a mutt. Americans, with maybe a few exceptions, are mutts. One hundred years ago, or so, Americans were angry Irish were moving into their country and I’m pretty sure they didn’t want their children marrying them.

You can’t tell me this is different.

This isn’t a topic I usually discuss outside of a few conversations and I don’t spend a whole lot of time thinking about it. Outside of one argument with a family member, which was actually kinda defensive until I said it was stupid to argue, I’ve never had a steamed discussion about it. But I thought I’d lay down some thoughts and stick them out there.

By the way, Jesus loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment