Monday, May 2, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

I remember going out to the ball field when I was a little kid and watching my little brother play baseball. He wasn't the best player in the world (by the standards of the Opelika Rec), but he loved the game and he tried his best. In fact, there was one game when he scored the only point in the whole game. I can't remember if he got walked or if he hit the ball, but he scored all the bases to win for his team.
Many times I tried to get out of watching the hour or so of little league. Only once did I succeed and with the exception of a few games, I think I saw every game he played. Of course, he doesn't play now. For a little while he was playing church softball and I'd watch those games. My little sister was also into softball, which held me over for a while. Until about middle school or maybe high school I really didn't like going to these games, other than for moral support. It was boring to sit on the belchers and watch this sport. My favorite part was the blue shushie I would always get. When I became older, it seemed to change.
Now I have a confession. The game I hated to be dragged to has become important to me. I can't play worth anything. I can barely hit the ball. It's the atmosphere at a little league game which make it so special. Watching your little cousins play this game and hopefully getting a good play. My siblings were awesome when they played (especially Brittany...shhhhh, don't tell Alex) and they could get some great plays. Well, Alex did a lot of dancing in the outfield when he was younger, which cracked everyone up.
I did play one year, as a side note. It's not exciting. I'd much rather play soccer any day than some sport where you stand in the outfield and wonder if the ball might make it your way. I just couldn't get into it.
If you ever go to a ball game, it's like a family reunion plus some. Friends are there. Church family is there. Family family is there. Everyone shows up to cheer on their future major leaguer.
And did I mention the food. Hot dogs. Shushies. Pop corn!
Wow, it makes me miss going. Now I need to find some kids who still play and go watch them. Any volunteers?

No comments:

Post a Comment