Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

With Mother's Day this weekend, I thought I'd do the right thing and write a little something about my own amazing mom. And all mothers like her. And the extra women God has thrown into my life who have become second mother figures to me.
My mom, of course, is number one. She means the world to me. From the moment of birth she has always been there for me and will be there in the future. And yes, we have had our share of disagreements, but she has been a voice of reason many times. I can confide in mom and she has a way of telling me things, showing me the right way.
When my parents went through their divorce, mom took it hard. But she was able to overcome so well and be there for me and Alex. I look back and think about how solid she could be. She was going to take care of us. I don't know what I would've done without her.
I have so many memories of my mom. Wow, I just stopped and thought back and was flooded. Then I stopped typing. I guess I should give you some examples. Hehe
Like when she would sit me down and teach me how to pray and read the Bible. Going camping in Gulf Shores. Walking in the neighborhood or going to the Fayetteville...I think I liked the ride more than anything. Playing with grandma's trainset and kicking Alex out of the room.
My mom is absolutely amazing. I love her! I am so thankful God allowed me to have her.
Unfortunately we are separated by a hour and a half drive. I call often, but it's still far off. I don't usually miss people. I don't know. But sometimes I miss my mom like crazy.
God has allowed other women into my life. None of them rank quite like my mom, but they are there when I need them. I told one the other day she was my second mommy and she asked how many second mommies I have. I had to stop and count later. I came up with four main ones and then a whole bunch more who pitch in. I love them all. I need the support and the extra mentoring and directing. They'll never add up to my own mom who has raised me into the woman I have become and continue to direct me in the years to come. I'll never get as excited as when I know I'm either going to Griffin to see mom or she's driving down her.
One day I hope I can be a mom as great as my mom. I probably won't be quite as good, but I'm going to try. Plus I'm sure I'll have a ton of help. I look forward to that day when I can celebrate Mother's Day from the other side. But until then I'm going to shower my mom with the love she deserves, although it doesn't come close to what all she's done for me. Thanks Mom! You are the absolute best! I love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment