Sunday, January 30, 2011

Entertain Me

I was sitting her talking to my Grandma after our trip to Crestview, Florida, to see my cousin Therresa. She was doing a crossword and the question was what city in Russia is hosting the 2014 Olympics. Course I didn't know; I don't keep up with stuff like that. This led to discussion about how it seems there are more and more events every year.
Let's think about it:
Every two year somewhere in the world is hosting the Olympics. The World Cup shows up every few year. We stopped talking about here, but let's go farther. How many award ceremonies, such as the grammies, are there every single year? Then there's football season, NASCAR season, Baseball, basketball, poker...just to name a few. Not that there's anything wrong with any of this. I personally get excited the moment I catch sight of a motor home crusing into Auburn the week before the first game day.
I'm just thinking isn't this going in a circle. Every year is the same old thing and for what?
Entertainment, right?
I don't really follow the Olympics much. I despise award shows.
Are we spending our time right, though?
We'll look at Auburn football, a tradition I cherish. And yes, I have seen people take it to extremes and spend way too much time and money on it. We aren't talking about them; we're talking about me. Actually there's no we because I'm talking about me.
Am I using the four or so hours I spend watching a ball game and the whole days I spend camping justly? Is it right to spend $30 or so on a football ticket.
Would God see it as right?
On the same level, it is an excellent ministry. One Saturday last fall, Momentum went and passed out Chik-fil-A biscuits and gave the gospel. It was the most incredile time I'd ever had in Auburn. That include game days with the band. It beat marching pregame and it takes a lot to beat that in my book.
I also think of Paul somewhere in the New Testament when he quotes a poet. I think it's somewhere in Acts. I don't know much about this story, but he's talking to someone and uses the quote.
Following Auburn football, or whatever it is in those categories, may give you an opening to lead into the gospel. Build a relationship, but let them see Jesus is the center or your life. I mean, they're going to see a difference when they go to your tailgate and hear no foul language and see no passed-out drunks.
Meanwhile I'm going to continue praying about entertainment and how God wants me to go about it. Here's an excellent ministry opportunity, but I don't want to go about it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment